I like more lamb in this flavourful dish of my mother’s, so I would probably use 1,35kg of lamb knuckles. But I can swear to the taste of this hearty stew.
- 2 lbs/900g lamb knuckles
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tin (250g) tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 tsp tomato paste
- Carrot chunks
- Turnip chunks
- Potato chunks
- (Peas, Leeks, Parsnips, celery if desired)
Herbs – mixed herbs, oregano, chopped parsley or chives
- 1st step – Make gravy: Sweat chopped onions and garlic in a little oil (1T). Then add chopped tomato. Add the tin of tomatoes, chopped, and tomato paste. Season to taste adding a little dry mixed herbs, oregano, salt, pepper until desired taste is achieved. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2nd Step – Trim lamb of excess fat. This is why lamb knuckles are best. Brown in as little fat as possible. Place meat in gravy in casserole pot with heavy base and simmer either in oven or on top of stove for about an hour. Simmer to almost tender.
- 3rd Step – Add carrots, turnips, parsnips for about 30 minutes.
- 4th Step – Add potatoes, celery, peas for about 1 hour. Meat must be tender, potatoes firm. Add shredded cabbage if desired.
Serve with sprinkled parsley/chives, if desired. Adjust gravy during cooking process with water, ½ chicken cube, tomatoes or tomato paste as needed. Serve alone or with boiled rice.