Home / Entertaining  / Want to cancel your SABC TV Licence?

Want to cancel your SABC TV Licence?

TV test signal

netflix - <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery-809503p1.html?cr=00&pl=edit-00">Twin Design</a> / <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com/editorial?cr=00&pl=edit-00">Shutterstock.com</a>Netflix and ShowMax, the online television and movie services, are prompting many people to reconsider keeping their DStv subscriptions – especially those who already have reliable and high-bandwidth lines installed in their homes.

ShowMax costs R99 a month while recently launched international service Netflix offers subscriptions from $7.99, as well as a free month on sign up with no obligation to continue the service.

While the debate around keeping a DStv subscription in place, or substituting it with either of the online offerings, continues, one sticky issue remains: if you own a television set, you are legally bound to continue paying SABC TV Licences its annual fee of R265. Even if you don’t tune into the national broadcaster at all.

Many would argue that while they own a television, they don’t use it at all – opting instead to watch TV on their cellphones, laptops or tablets.showmax

Cancelling your TV Licence, however, is not as easy as signing up to one: you will need an SABC-generated affidavit to effect cancellation. Unfortunately, finding the affidavit on the SABC’s website yields no results and few have time to visit their nearest SABC offices.

Fortunately, we have a copy of the affidavit which you can download, print and fill out. Email the document to tvlic.info@sabc.co.za requesting they cancel your licence.


Click to enlarge, download and print

Other details to be sent with the affidavit:

  • The date from which you’re no longer using or are in possession of any TV set.
  • An explanation of what happened to the TV set that was in your possession.
  • If you sold or donated your TV, you need to provide the new owner’s details (surname, initials, ID number and address) as well as their TV Licence number if applicable.
  • If your TV was stolen, you need to provide the case number under which the crime was reported to the police.
  • If your TV was repossessed, you need the store manager’s signature or store stamp on the affidavit.


David A Steynberg, managing editor and director of HomeTimes, has more than 10 years of experience as both a journalist and editor, having headed up Business Day’s HomeFront supplement, SAPOA’s range of four printed titles, digimags Asset in Africa and the South African Planning Institute’s official title, Planning Africa, as well as B2B titles, Building Africa and Water, Sewage & Effluent magazines. He began his career at Farmer’s Weekly magazine before moving on to People Magazine where he was awarded two Excellence Awards for Best Real Life feature as well as Writer of the Year runner-up. He is also a past fellow of the International Women’s Media Foundation.

Review overview