Home / Sectional Title & Estates  / Sectional title water damage. Who’s responsibile?

Sectional title water damage. Who’s responsibile?

Leaking water resize

There is often uncertainty in sectional title schemes about water leaks, the ensuing damp problems, and who is liable to pay for what damage.http://hometimes.co.za/advertise-with-hometimes/

“However, in most cases the solution is actually quite simple,” says Andrew Schaefer, MD of leading national property management company Trafalgar. “Water and damp problems usually originate on the roof, in the foundations or in an outside wall. And as these are all parts of the common property, the body corporate – made up of all the owners in the scheme – is responsible for any work necessary to stop a water leak, and for the cost of those repairs, in terms of Section 37 of the Sectional Titles Act.”

In other words, he says, the owners of ground floor sections have the same responsibility to pay for any roof repairs that are necessary as the owners of sections on the top floor. Similarly, top-floor owners have to pay a portion of any foundation repairs that are necessary.

“And if a special levy has to be raised to pay for the repairs, this must be done according to owners’ participation quotas, unless nominated values in terms of Section 32 of the Sectional Titles Act apply.”

In addition, Schaefer says, the owners of sections where there has been interior damage as a result of water seeping in from common property are entitled to expect the body corporate to also pay for the costs of their repairs – which the body corporate may be able to claim from insurance if the leak and resulting damages are the result of an unusual event such as a severe storm.participation quota sectional title resize

“On the other hand, if a leak that causes damage originates in another section – from an overflowing bath, for example – the owner of that section will be responsible for the costs of repair. Common sense also dictates that a leak originating within a section, or damage caused by such a leak, is the sole responsibility of the section owner.”

There are some instances, though, where the source of a leak is not obvious. It could be from a pipe in the slab that forms the floor of one section and the ceiling of another, for example, or in a wall between two sections. In such cases, if the pipe is “in transit” from one part of the building to another, or if the pipe serves more than one section, the body corporate may be responsible for the cost of repairs, he says.

“However, the Act provides that if the pipe contains hot water, the owner of the section being served by the hot water is responsible for repair of the pipe as well as any damage caused by the leak.”

Schaefer also emphasises that it makes no sense for bodies corporate to try to delay the implementation of common property repairs to allow time to raise sufficient funds to pay for them. “In fact, this is a very risky practice that can result in even more damage to sections and common property – and more costly repairs in the long-run.

“For instance, if water is leaking through the roof and down the internal walls of a section, the body corporate will have to repair the roof, replace the ceiling and pay for repairs to the owner’s walls. But if repairs are delayed, the body corporate might also have to pay for replacement of carpets and the contents of built-in cupboards, not to mention wall and floor tiles that have lifted and, in extreme cases, the warped and split timber trusses that support the roof itself.”

Trafalgar CEO, Andrew Schaefer.

Trafalgar CEO, Andrew Schaefer.

What is more, he says, any claims made against the body corporate’s insurance cover for costs related to water damage are likely to be repudiated if the source of the leak is maintenance-related.

“In short, repairs to common property are not discretionary, they are mandatory, and if the body corporate reserve fund is too low to cover the cost of the repairs, it will have no choice but to raise a special levy or obtain a specialised loan.”


Review overview
  • jen 31st January 2016

    Please I would love to print this page on sec title on leaks in buildings.

  • jen 31st January 2016

    Can the trustees and chairman withhold the annual financials if the levies are not up to date. These financials are needed to get a bond approved. even the accounting officer who has the financials on file, will not release these valuable documents to the seller.

    • David A Steynberg 3rd February 2016

      Hi there,
      Apologies for the wait.
      We received this advice from Michelle Dickens, MD of TPN: “No trustees / chairmen can withhold AFS due to unpaid levies. In fact this would be counterproductive as it would be better to encourage the sale and receive payment of unpaid levies by withholding the clearance certificate.”
      If you do have any problems, contact the TPN Helpdesk on 086 187 6000 to speak to their legal advisor.

  • HANS VAN TONDER 16th February 2017

    If a roof of a sectional title is leaking causing damage to that specific unit`s ceiling,who is responsible for the roof repairs- the owner or the bodycorporate?

  • K Reddy 18th October 2017

    Could you please email me the article on S/T water damage Who is responsible. I cannot print it but your article is very clear and I have numerous water leaks in my unit. I want to show it to the body corporate,Hope you could send it soon. God Bless.

  • Jenny 22nd November 2017

    Hi we have extensive damage to our unit due to my neighbours pipes leaking into our wall,they renovated their bathroom and concealed their pipes into the wall.The body corporate is unsure how to deal with this matter.I noticed that my walls are damp and wet ,I informed the body corporate ,they sent him a letter .he is now being difficult and insists he wants a letter of complaint from me . Is this legal.Is the letter from the body corporate not sufficient.Regards Jenny

  • Dalena 2nd November 2018

    I have damage on the inside walls and cupboards as well as the ceiling of my house due to leaks from the roof and box gutter which serves my roof an my neigbours roof. My neighbour does not have the problem as his roof is higher than mine. I had this problem numerous times in the past but because the body corporate always used the wrong and cheapest method by sealing the gutter, it always comes back. (The gutter is totally rusted). I reported this problem already 3 months ago. Several roof specialists (more than 3 quoted) to replace the box gutter, but as it is to expensive, nothing happens as they wait for a cheap quote. Damage in my house increases by the day and the tension to me is terrible!!Every time I phone the lBody Corporate they make promises, and excuses, but nothing happens. What can I do, I realy need help urgently!. Thanks