When going to the store to buy groceries you always check the expiration date, but did you know that there are other household items that you should replace at some point? From your toothbrush to your washer and dryer this handy guide will help you maintain a healthy home environment for you and your family.
You should try to air it in the sun at least every season or more frequently if suffering from night sweat. In the case of small children that wets the bed you need to clean that immediately so clean with soap and then let the mattress dry in the sun. If accidents occur frequently invest in a good mattress protector. All mattresses should be replaced every ten years.
Wash the covers and pillows every time you wash your bedding but allow pillows to dry in the sun. You should replace your pillows every 12-18 months.
Wash your sheets at least every two weeks and replace every 12-18 months.
Slippers are the perfect environment for spreading a fungal infection; therefore you should wash you slippers as often as possible and replace them every six months.
You should discard makeup based on the following rule of thumb:
Wet makeup older than one year should be thrown away. Dry (Powder) or unopened makeup should not be kept for longer than three years. Use or discard mascara and liquid liner within three months of opening, and 18 months for items like lipstick or gloss. Lip, eye and brow pencils should be thrown away after three years.
Quick guide to other common items:
- Skin products (moisturisers and creams): Up to one year.
- Loofahs and sponges: replace every seven weeks.
- Toothbrush: Replace every three months.
- Perfume: You should replace perfume and deodorant every two years; if you keep using it after this time you might get skin rashes.
- Hairbrush: You should clean your hairbrush at least once a week and replace it every year.
- Child car seats: Over time, the plastic and foam deteriorates and, therefore, a car seat loses its shape and no longer protects your child, so it’s always better to buy a new one instead of a second hand one. Car seats can last for 6-10 years. It is best to check with the manufacturer for the lifespan of the seat you are looking at buying, and should you have to buy a preloved seat ensure that the seat was not involved in any accidents.
- Bath towels: If you are using the same towels every night you should wash it every week if you have enough to rotate, you can wash it every two weeks. You should replace towels every two years.
- Refrigerators: These big ticket household items can last for 15-30 years (depending on the model), but if you are getting close to 15 years you should consider replacing it because newer models are built to use 60% less energy than models built 20 years ago and 40% more energy efficient than models built 12 years ago.
- Washers and dryers: Washers and dryers can be used for 10 to 15 years but when you get to 10 years you should consider replacing it because just like refrigerators, the new models are much more energy efficient.
Next time you buy something and you are not sure about the product’s expiration date, contact the manufacturer as they will be able to provide you with some guidance based on the batch number.
Words: Natassha Burrell