Home / Landlord & Tenant  / [WATCH] Can I approach the Rental Housing Tribunal to claim unpaid rental?

[WATCH] Can I approach the Rental Housing Tribunal to claim unpaid rental?

in the witness stand lawyer in court resize


Hi, I am a landlord, and I had a defaulting tenant that has since vacated my property. However, they still owe outstanding rental.

What would be the best process to recover this missing rental amount which totals to about R14,500?

The TPN Credit Bureau suggests the Small Claims Court or the Rental Housing Tribunal (RHT).

However, I have tied 10 different numbers published to contact the RHT but can never get hold of the correct person. The numbers either just ring and ring or I get hold of a different department who gives me a different contact number that either just rings and rings again, or is just not obtainable.

I have emailed the RHT but have had no response after three days. How do I contact the RHT?

I realise that an alternative would be to use an attorney and a summons, but this will cost about R5,000 or more, and I do not want to spend too much to recover R14,500.

I understand that the Small Claims Court will handle any case as long as it is up to R15K? – Stuart


Got a burning question? Email david@hometimes.co.za



David A Steynberg, managing editor and director of HomeTimes, has more than 10 years of experience as both a journalist and editor, having headed up Business Day’s HomeFront supplement, SAPOA’s range of four printed titles, digimags Asset in Africa and the South African Planning Institute’s official title, Planning Africa, as well as B2B titles, Building Africa and Water, Sewage & Effluent magazines. He began his career at Farmer’s Weekly magazine before moving on to People Magazine where he was awarded two Excellence Awards for Best Real Life feature as well as Writer of the Year runner-up. He is also a past fellow of the International Women’s Media Foundation.

Review overview