Home / Sectional Title & Estates  / [WATCH] Does a body corporate have to have public liability insurance?

[WATCH] Does a body corporate have to have public liability insurance?

chiuldren playing resize


Hi, I just want to find out if I can have a claim against a body corporate if I find my car damaged while parked in the complex undercover parking area. The complex has 24-hour security which is supposed to patrol throughout the complex. I suspect the children are the culprits because there have been a number of incidents where cars have been scratched by children playing in the parking area. My view is that either the security or body corporate is not doing enough to ensure the kids play in the designated play areas within the complex.

I would assume that the Sectional Title Scheme Management Act should provide protection for owners and tenants since we are paying a levy and I assume that the body corporate should take public liability insurance for damages occurring on the common property (parking area)? – Lebogang


Got a burning question? Email david@hometimes.co.za



David A Steynberg, managing editor and director of HomeTimes, has more than 10 years of experience as both a journalist and editor, having headed up Business Day’s HomeFront supplement, SAPOA’s range of four printed titles, digimags Asset in Africa and the South African Planning Institute’s official title, Planning Africa, as well as B2B titles, Building Africa and Water, Sewage & Effluent magazines. He began his career at Farmer’s Weekly magazine before moving on to People Magazine where he was awarded two Excellence Awards for Best Real Life feature as well as Writer of the Year runner-up. He is also a past fellow of the International Women’s Media Foundation.

Review overview