Spring is almost here and soon we will be able to braai again without freezing to death! So the question is what will you be drinking? Your answer should be frosé (frozen rosé), courtesy of Food and Home magazine. All you need to make this delicious drink is, rosé wine, water, strawberries and the juice of 1 lemon and you will be able to enjoy a delicious cocktail.
And I haven’t even told you about the best part of this recipe: It can double as a dessert if you just dice up some fresh strawberries and pineapple, and then serve.
You will need 45 minutes to prepare and then 4 hours to freeze so be sure to make it ahead of time.
- 125ml water
- 100g sugar
- 250g strawberries (washed, hulled and chopped)
- 1 x 750ml bottle of rosé wine (something you’d be happy to drink all on its own)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a small pot bring the water and the sugar to a boil for about 1 minute without stirring, and then remove from heat. Let the syrup cool down to room temperature (you can put the pot in the fridge to speed up the process).
- Place the cooled down syrup mixture and the strawberries in a blender, blend until smooth. Combine the blended strawberry mixture with the wine and the lemon juice, place in a freezer-proof container and then freeze for 4 hours or until solid.
- Place the frozen mixture in the blender and blend until fluffy; it should look like sorbet. Place the mixture back in your freezer-proof container and then freeze again for about 1 hour or until you plan on serving it. The mixture might be to too hard to serve so if that happens just place it back in the blender, and blend again before serving.
- Spoon your mixture into your preferred glasses and serve with a straw if you are serving it as a cocktail or serve with pieces of strawberries and pineapple and a spoon if you plan on serving it as a dessert.
Words: Natassha Burrell